Sunday, May 24, 2009

Our Bishop

You have to love my Relief Society president for noticing me ditch out on the Mother’s Day Brunch at church. I sat through the lesson, but when dismissed for the brunch the ladies went right and I turned left.

She confronted me and asked why I wasn’t going to go. In a few short sentences I explained that Mother’s Day really wasn’t my thing and summed up our last 4 years of trying to become parents. She asked me why I hadn’t talked to her about it before and before I could come up with something snappy about my infertility not fitting into most Sunday lessons she answered the question for me.

She told me that I should try adopting and that I would be sure to get pregnant (one of my favorites), then I would end up with two babies and be so busy I would wish for my life pre-parenthood. She also suggested I go visit Sister Soandso who has 6 children under the age of 5 and that would “cure” me from wanting kids so bad. I smiled at her, thanked her for her concern, got in my car and moped all the way home.

My husbands reaction as he drove his sniffling wife home? “I knew we shouldn’t have gone to church today.” I wanted to smack him, but he was right I should have stayed home, or so I thought.

Well dear Relief Society president obviously talked to my Bishop. He asked to meet with me the next week.

The next week rolled around and I find myself in his office. He asked if we had really been trying to have a family for 4 years. When I said yes he just look and me for a while then said, “I am so sorry, I have no idea how hard that must be.” “It must be a struggle to come to church every week and see so many young families and have everything be so family oriented.”

This guy had it going on. He was inspired.

We talked about what we’ve tried, haven’t tried, and might try. But in the end he left me with this…“As hard as those fertility treatments may be or the adoption process might get, keep pursuing parenthood.” “You and Phillip will make great parents and any child you are blessed with will be lucky to have you two as parents.”

That’s why this guy is our Bishop. Because when we have doubts about why we are not parents, thinking that there must be some reason God has not chosen us to parent, here is a man, obviously of God, counseling us otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment