Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

As much as people would think otherwise, I don’t hate Mother’s Day.

I am surrounded by wonderful mothers that I do believe deserve to be celebrated.

My Mom is one lady that makes Mother’s Day justifiable. She is the type of mom that makes motherhood look easy. She is a down-to-earth, go with the flow, everything is good, type of person and I’m beyond lucky to have been raised by her. She is cares without smothering, she disciplined without being mean, and she encourages without pushing. She mothers with a balance that I could only hope to have. I think it says a lot that I am “grown up” and still miss my mom (she lives 10 hours away) and I kinda like that she misses me too.

My mother-in-law is also a lady that deserves some credit today. She is responsible for rearing the man I married, therefore she is good in my book. Not only did she raise him to be the wonderful guy he is, she did it mostly alone. My husband’s father died when he was 13. In the midst of loosing a husband, she managed to raise him into a pretty amazing man – hats off to her.

To my good friends that are mothers – I really am happy for you. I may be a wee jealous of your little ones, but you guys are amazing women and deserve acknowledgement for the work you do as mother – there really is no more important role.

While I am supportive of Mother’s Day, today I got in over my head. Trying to show my Mother’s Day support, I went to church. I thought, I am strong I can do this, when the reality is I still hate that I am not a Mother, and in a room full of women discussing the blessings of motherhood, I did all I could to keep from bursting into tears. Note to self – Mother’s Day for me is now considered a church free holiday.

Happy Mother’s Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment